Saturday, June 26 at 11 AM we held our 2nd Quarterly Meeting of 2021, Weathering the Storm: Disaster Preparedness & Recovery. Just in time for hurricane season, we teamed up with the Department of Health & Human Services to pull together experts to teach communities about how to manage their homes before and after a disaster. Attendees were able to hear about a variety of topics including septic systems, private wells, mold remediation, & pre/post-disaster resources.
If you were able to make it we are so happy you could join us! If not, no worries, we’ve got you covered! Please see the links below for an event evaluation survey, video recordings of the webinar & each session, as well as takeaways from some of our panelists.
Event Evaluation Survey
Full Webinar Recording
Resources Pre/Post Disaster: A look into NCCARE’s coordinated network & how it connects North Carolinians to opportunities for health care & human services.
Presented by LaQuana Palmer, NCCARE360 Senior Program Manager, Foundation for Health Leadership & Innovation
Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems: Be informed about how to handle onsite wastewater treatment systems (septic systems) before, during, and after flooding conditions.
Presented by Dr. Sushama Pradhan, Environmental Senior Specialist, DHHS, On-Site Water Protection Branch
- Septic Systems in Flooding Conditions Doorhanger
- Handling Septic Systems and Dirking Water Well in Flooding conditions
- Septic Systems—What to Do after the Flood
- Understanding and projecting your septic systems
For Printed Copies – Contact
Printed copies are free of cost.
Private Wells Readiness: A discussion on how well owners can prepare their private water supply before flooding events and what should be done if their wells are affected.
Presented by Wilson Mize, Regional Environmental Health Specialist, DHHS, On-Site Water Protection Branch
Flood Damage Restoration: Gain information on addressing excess moisture from disasters and learning to protect homes from everyday activities that can lead to moisture and mold.
Presented by David Lipton, Industrial Hygiene Consultant, DHHS, Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch.
- ReadyNC Emergency Kit (NC Department of Public Safety)
- How to Prepare for a Hurricane (US Department of Homeland Security)
- Legal Aid of NC Disaster Relief (Legal Aid of North Carolina)
- Initial Restoration for Flooded Buildings (US Department of Homeland Security)
- Mold (NC DHHS Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology)
Addressing Moisture as a Healthy Homes Issue: Learn how to identify everyday activities that can cause excess moisture and mold and steps for protecting your home.
Presented by Neasha Graves, Environmental Health Outreach Manager, UNC IE Center for Public Engagement with Science.
- NC Healthy Homes (UNC Institute for the Environment and UNC Center for Environmental Health and Susceptibility, UNC IE and UNC CEHS)
- NC Healthy Homes “Mold and Moisture” (UNC IE and UNC CEHS)
- NC Disaster Response and Recovery (UNC IE and UNC CEHS)
- UNC Center for Environmental Health and Susceptibility